Wednesday, December 28, 2022

What Is Love?

No, I had NEVER planned it. What? That I will be revisiting my view of love at the age of 42. 

I had probably planned that by the time I am 40 I will be taking care of a set of twins (as my ex-husband was one of the twin brothers, the other brother, Jai Prakash Tiwari, died young in a family feud when he was 7). I had also planned that I will probably be heading a company, possibly my husband's business of rugs, interiors, investments, possibly my own business of yoga, fitness and travel destinations. Kay Sera Sera! Whatever will be will be! Our future is not ours to see!

Aren't women settled by the age of 40 with a family, with homes, with a side-boyfriend (haha) who they have broken up with 5 years ago because he landed up being her son's classmate (whoa). Oh my mind just cooks up the strangest of stories, even in 40s. So, again the same question- what is love?

My first brush with love was when I first read 'Love Story' by Eric Segal. It was said, 'love means NEVER having to say you are sorry.' And that line rang in my mind for the next 2 months over breakfast, lunch, dinner, a subject of discussion with every girl I met in class. Maybe I need to pick up the book again.

Of course a spate of Hindi movies, Hollywood blockbusters (only those released in India, later I got to know that a lot of Hollywood movies are not released in India at all). I was still thinking about the same question. Is it worth a think? is it worth a thought? People said its important to believe in love. I only I had to say that I had been a follower of Lord Krishna and 'love' in that has a totally different meaning. People said you should follow Lord Krishna for the Bhagvad Gita, not for love. I only had to say- but I thought we were talking about love in relationships. Weren't we? Bhagavad Gita, on the other hand, doesn't show love but only 'duties, wars and obligations'. I haven't visited Gita from the perspective of 'love'.

And then I read Jesus- love thy neighbor. 

Gautam Buddha struck the chord right by talking about the middle path, not giving too much nor giving in too much, yet being mindful of the actions. He remained silent on the existence of God. 

With so many books read around love, and so many movies watched, why am I still thinking over the important question is the greatest dilemma.



No comments:

Post a Comment